Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Confessions of a Closet Wedding Planner or How I Got Into the Wedding Rental Business

In my former life, I had a full time job, and I had 3 sons, so that was another job for me, and a husband in contracting, so that was another job for me, and a son who had a small business, so that was another job for me, and two elderly parents, so that was a bit of a job for me,too. Sooooo, needless to say, I was probably bored lol!! And I had lots of time on my hands lol!!

Then things changed.
My oldest son decided to get married. True to what he had been saying for years, he wanted to be married at a resort down south. So fast forward to April 2007 and we were in the Dominican Republic for his wedding.



With a large group of friends and relatives back home who were unable to attend we decided we would have a reception for he and his new bride on our return home, and the newlyweds and in-laws flew in from Alberta to meet the "family".

Note I said I had 3 sons, note also that means no daughters. So..... no planning weddings in my future, no trips to every bridal shop in all the cities in the province to help choose a wedding dress, no making decisions about wedding decor, or choosing a meal to serve to our family and friends. But I gamely jumped into the ring (no pun intended!!) and started doing what I could do to provide the bridal couple with the options available locally. Meanwhile they were in Alberta planning and hosting a party for their friends from there.

Not long into the planning my new daughter in law gave me carte blanche to plan the day as I wished. She had already planned her wedding, and the reception in Alberta, and was willing to let me do the honours to make matters simpler and avoid the long distance back and forth.  She was confident it would be a good time and I would do well by the family.

So there I was, my dream come true, I got to run the show and plan a wedding reception down to the tiniest details. They say Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!! Well Hell hath no fervour like a woman with no limits and a credit card!! I was off to the races like the finest thoroughbred, and there wasn't a store, local or internet that was safe from my browses. I shopped all over the continent for the perfect ribbon, the perfect glasses, the perfect wedding photo frames, I even made the wedding cake! What a fun time I had.


(photo by Kim Harris, Eyemagine Photography)
When everything was over, and the dust had settled, I was left with all the paraphernalia to host a wedding reception for over 125 people. Dishes, glassware, tablecloths, decorations, you name it, I had it!! It was a great time, everything was beautiful, but now I had enough dishes to give everyone a complete set for Christmas!! After loaning it to a few friends for their family parties and to an acquaintance for a wedding she was helping to plan, someone told me I was foolish not to get organized and rent it out. After all it was paid for, it was mine, it was nice stuff, and so on and so on and so on....

(photo by Kim Harris, Eyemagine Photography)

Once that seed was planted it refused to wilt, and over the next year or so it festered. Resigning myself to the inevitable, I started shopping for my new business and formulated a business plan. This could be a nice little sideline for retirement, due in another 5 or 6 years, I thought.

Like a puppy that is so cute and "small" this little sideline grew and grew, and suddenly I had enough stock to equip a wedding in a variety of colours for as many as 300 people. Every room in the house and part of my parents home was overrun with packages and bins of stock and my little folder of paperwork beside by sofa grew to need a filing cabinet as the response to a few tentative kijiji ads amazed me. I was on my way! And I was having fun!

This first year has been amazing, I have met so many adorable brides and grooms and although I primarily am a rental business, I can't resist lending a hand to help "My" brides set up for their special day. It has been fun, exciting, fulfilling and busy. And I'm so looking forward to doing more of the same next year! I have already met several brides of 2011 and they are wonderful, so bring it on!!! I may not be a wedding planner, but I can and will help you plan Your Perfect Day. So this "wedding planner" is out of the closet!! lol!

Pictures are the property of THE PERFECT DAY MIRAMICHI unless otherwise stated.  For a look at more wedding pics and rental items, see our facebook page, The Perfect Day Miramichi, or check out our website: www.theperfectdaymiramichi.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god! What a cake! And this wedding seems to be quite dreamy. Booking done for one of the alluring Seattle Wedding venues proved fruitful. All our guests enjoyed a lot at my sister's wedding. Dinner and drinks were of superb quality. Party favors and souvenirs were all from a reputed place.

    ReplyDelete